Expanded IRC Documentation

Moderator: GeekShed.Net Staff

Would expanded documentation be of use on the webiste?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Expanded IRC Documentation

Postby PhillSBIT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Now granted I have only been on the network for a few days now but during the time I have spent in #Gnomies I have come across a the same question multiple times and that is:

What does "Connection Reset By Peer" mean?

Due to the absence of such documentation on the site I have been forced to refer to Google search results and other network's documentation. I strongly believe that this would be a welcome and extremely useful addition to the site alongside the IRC commands documentation.

The commands documentation is awesome but the menu can become slightly unwieldy at times (either on small screens or possibly for those who use magnification software like ZoomText). The documentation could be better presented via a wiki of sorts.

If this project is implemented I would like to recommend the use of DokuWiki.
PhillSBIT

Re: Expanded IRC Documentation

Postby tengrrl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm

In reference to your example, view a list of quit messages and what they mean by visiting: http://www.geekshed.net/2010/01/quit-messages-and-what-they-mean/. There is documentation beyond the simple listing of commands.
tengrrl
GeekShed.Net Staff

Postby PhillSBIT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm

tengrrl wrote:In reference to your example, view a list of quit messages and what they mean by visiting: http://www.geekshed.net/2010/01/quit-messages-and-what-they-mean/. There is documentation beyond the simple listing of commands.

Ok. Others have referred me to that but it seems to me there is a lack of organization on the site when it comes to the documentation.

Reference: A previous conversation with T-Rex
T-Rex: Brigitte and I are the two forum admins, but haven't got logins to write posts actually on Geekshed.net
[3:39pm] PhillSBIT: Maybe even a full documentation wiki. Commands, connection errors, a little bit about bot scripting. just a thought.
[3:39pm] T-Rex: geekshed.net/commands
[3:40pm] T-Rex: there's pretty much most of what can be typed in under there
[3:40pm] T-Rex: connection errors and making basic bots could be could.. GrimReaper on the forums has put a few scripts etc and tuts about bots, iirc
~time lapse~
T-Rex: actually
[3:52pm] T-Rex: http://www.geekshed.net/2010/01/quit-me ... they-mean/
[3:52pm] PhillSBIT: That's the funny thing. I new the first time a looked at without clicking around. I can pretty much tell when I am presented with a WP site.
[3:53pm] PhillSBIT: Ah. Ok that's good.
[3:54pm] T-Rex: hmm
[3:54pm] T-Rex: maybe it's that there's no list of the blog posts on the site
[3:54pm] T-Rex: static home page, chat, chat for your site, commandds blah blah
[3:54pm] T-Rex: but no actual nav bar icon up top for all blog posts
~time lapse~
T-Rex: thats there in the grey box i didnt notice
[3:55pm] PhillSBIT: but think of it this way (i am not sure if this is possible with WP) but let's say I get that question again, yes I can link them to that article but 9 times out 10 a user would have scroll down but if I am able to link directly to the the header for that specific message and upon clicking the it would be right at the top of a users browser. make sense??
[3:56pm] PhillSBIT: It could be possible that a Blog page is not defined in the admin settings for WP.
[3:57pm] PhillSBIT: That is completely possible because WP doesn't require a blog page to be define when using a static page as the homepage as opposed to the default blog homepage.
[3:57pm] T-Rex: Yeah I see what you mean
[3:57pm] T-Rex: and something like linking straight to the title tag so they don't have to scroll down a bit?
[3:58pm] PhillSBIT: yes.
[3:59pm] T-Rex: Yeah, anchors
[3:59pm] T-Rex: they could be added in with WP yeah
PhillSBIT

Postby tengrrl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 pm

The link to all posts is at the bottom of the page.
tengrrl
GeekShed.Net Staff

Return to Comments and Suggestions