Annoying Trolls

Moderator: GeekShed.Net Staff

Annoying Trolls

Postby Albert71292 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi. I started a chat room here back in the Wyldryde days. Recently, I started getting trolls constantly coming into my room, sometimes even following me into other rooms, like #cnetfans. I decided to put a passkey on the room, and make the room "secret", only giving the room location to friends. This did not work. Before ANY friends were informed, the troll (or trolls) managed to get back into the room. I would repeatedly kick/ban them, but they IMMEDIATELY re-entered the room, with another, obviously fake address (like 026785.a.dead.cat.net).

Apart from totally abandoning the concept of a chat room (which was linked to my website), is there ANY WAY to stop those people from annoying the heck out of me? I talked to a moderator of a channel on a different server a few weeks ago, where the same trolls somehow found me there also, after nearly getting ME kicked from that room from their abusive language directed at me (and I have done NOTHING to whomever it is), that moderator, who also kicked/banned them several times, said it looked like they were using something called "bounce servers" to keep changing their address.

Any help/ insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Albert71292

Re: Annoying Trolls

Postby Bkil » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 am

Albert71292 wrote:Hi. I started a chat room here back in the Wyldryde days. Recently, I started getting trolls constantly coming into my room, sometimes even following me into other rooms, like #cnetfans. I decided to put a passkey on the room, and make the room "secret", only giving the room location to friends. This did not work. Before ANY friends were informed, the troll (or trolls) managed to get back into the room. I would repeatedly kick/ban them, but they IMMEDIATELY re-entered the room, with another, obviously fake address (like 026785.a.dead.cat.net).

Apart from totally abandoning the concept of a chat room (which was linked to my website), is there ANY WAY to stop those people from annoying the heck out of me? I talked to a moderator of a channel on a different server a few weeks ago, where the same trolls somehow found me there also, after nearly getting ME kicked from that room from their abusive language directed at me (and I have done NOTHING to whomever it is), that moderator, who also kicked/banned them several times, said it looked like they were using something called "bounce servers" to keep changing their address.

Any help/ insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

You could get your friends to register, then put them on the access list and turn on restricted(/cs help set restricted) and secureops(/cs help set secureops), this will kick and ban anyone who isn't on that list. A channel passkey should work, channel mode +k(/mode #channel +k passkey), but if you leave the channel and you didn't have it set to mlock(/cs help set mlock) you would need to add it back every time. I would recommend adding it to mlock.

They arn't using fake addresses, they are just IPs that have a reverse DNS to those vanity domains, but, they are ban evading so you could report them to a network op.

If you needed help I could help op your chat when I'm active too :twisted:
A group of non-conformists conforming to nonconformity.
Bkil

Return to HELP!