I can't join chat.

Moderator: GeekShed.Net Staff

Re: I can't join chat.

Postby Alfougin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 pm

I have had a similar issue since I arrived at college with the #lordkat channel. Whenever I attempt to login, either with my registered nick or not, I do not go past the Connecting to GeekShed, Please Wait... message, which appears twice in the window. After 30 seconds or so it returns to the initial login screen. I assumed some messed up system of blocking peer-to-peer connections, which I know some form of which is utilized by my campus, was preventing access to IRC servers and clients. However, I have had no issue using a chat at a stream page or, as I learned yesterday (Dec. 13) the IRC at Mibbit.com that the #RadioDeadAir channel was hosted on. I checked what ports were open on my end, and turned off my firewall to see if that was the issue. My sole guess at the issue appears to be wrong and so now I come here. Also, to clarify, my login attempts result in this for the 30 seconds before I am kicked to the starting screen.

[Timestamp] Connecting to GeekShed, Please Wait...
[Timestamp] Connecting to GeekShed, Please Wait...
Alfougin

Postby coolsecretspy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:48 pm

if you are trying to connect to Geekshed from a school or college network you won't be able to, because they have closed the ports that Geekshed use.

Coolsecretspy

#chris Voiced Community Member
Last edited by coolsecretspy on Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coolsecretspy

#chris Op
coolsecretspy

Postby TheDruggedGamer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:27 pm

I just registered to say I'm having this problem too. It only started happening last night, before that I was able to join #lordkat fine but now it wont go past the Connecting bit and dumps me back at the login screen.

Before last night I've never had a problem with logging in, and nothings changed on my PC that I'm aware of that could be the cause.
TheDruggedGamer

Postby coolsecretspy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:01 pm

have you maybe tried using the TFlash on http://www.geekshed.net/chat/. failing that try using https://02.chat.mibbit.com/, i'm using that right now and it's working brilliantly! :)

Coolsecretspy

#chris Voiced Community Member
Coolsecretspy

#chris Op
coolsecretspy

Postby TheDruggedGamer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Mibbit works, but it's a pain in the arse to work and I'm having toouble using my registered username. Any way I can set it to log me in like the embedded chat on Lordkats website?

EDIT: According to people in the chat, NO-ONE can access the chat through Lordkats website.
TheDruggedGamer

Postby coolsecretspy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:25 pm

created a helpfull little screenshot that should help with Mibbit :)
Attachments
Mibbit Help.png
Mibbit Help
Mibbit Help.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 26513 times
Coolsecretspy

#chris Op
coolsecretspy

Postby neoatg » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:58 am

This is the 2nd night in a row that at around 8 pm Est the chat shuts down after working just fine all day and doesn't allow log in, and don't give me that port stuff because it worked just fine till now. Sorry if I sound angry it's only because I am. I spent hours last night trying everything sugested to get on geekshed and it turns out it clearly something wrong with the service that you at geekshed are not willing to admit to.

What is going on?
neoatg

Postby kazari » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:47 am

Same problem, only seems to be an issue with your web based client during certain times. (only seemed to have started lately)

Web client only seems to display:
[timestamp] Connecting to GeekShed, Please Wait...
[timestamp] Connecting to GeekShed, Please Wait...

Which then cycles back to the login details.

Can connect just fine with all other clients I have tried, I've tried 6 different browsers with your client and based on what I've heard from others in #lordkat that we all lost/gained access again at the same time aswell so I'd guess it's actually a problem with your client (only during certain times)
kazari

Postby coolsecretspy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:20 am

Even I can't login to the chat on Chris Pirillo's site, which it why I either use Mibbit Chat or mIRC which is installed on all my machines.
Coolsecretspy

#chris Op
coolsecretspy

PreviousNext

Return to HELP!