Registering

Moderator: GeekShed.Net Staff

Registering

Postby Karnage82 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 am

I attempted to make another nick in a channel not long ago and no matter what I try it says Nickname [name here] may not be registered. I even changed the email address and it is still giving me the same result.
"When we gaze into the blackest oblivion, All we see is ourselves."
Karnage82

Re: Registering

Postby therock247uk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:06 am

I see you was in irc asking about this its cause of Trevor_(Cor)vinus the part in ()'s is part of a nickname thats one of our staff members hence why its not allowed.
therock247uk

Postby Karnage82 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 am

I tried using Trevor_Murgothe as well and it still wouldn't let me register that name even after waiting 2 minutes.
Karnage82

Postby tengrrl » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:43 am

In order to guard against imposters, your nick cannot contain the name of any member of network staff. In most cases, this rule will not cause any problems, but there are some tricky cases. For instance, because a member of network staff is named Atri, you are not able to register nicknames like Patrick, Patricia, or Atrium.

In the case of your nick, the word Trevor is the problem. See http://www.geekshed.net/2012/03/choosing-a-nickname/
tengrrl
GeekShed.Net Staff

Postby Karnage82 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:53 am

How is Trevor the problem? also even though with the nick Trevor_Corvinus or Trevor_Murgothe it should have went through with the registry.
Karnage82

Postby tengrrl » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:18 am

Because a member of staff is named Trevor; and your nick cannot contain the name of any member of network staff.
tengrrl
GeekShed.Net Staff

Postby Karnage82 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 am

I figured that I would be able to do a Trevor_Corvinus(or Murgothe) nick for the channel that I frequent. But since I can't I will have to make up another name instead...which is disappointing. I mean it is understandable about Trevor being a member of your staff but from it being an entirely different name altogether I should be able to use it still.
Karnage82

Return to HELP!