Question/Request

Moderator: GeekShed.Net Staff

Question/Request

Postby Kimiko » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi there,

So far I'm really loving the GeekShed network. My favorite is that it masks the IPs of our users and that is the most important, so thanks for that!

My question is: Do you have plans to go RFC 2812 compliant by any chance? The reason I ask is because we have the IRC integrated into our game as a global chat so everyone can speak to one another, however we can't use things like /msg and /me. And over time our users will be requesting more and more things. Even if I'm on an IRC client and someone in game tries to send me a PM, it doesn't work. Of course people can also use a client, but the main point is to have the ease of access within the game.

So if there is anything that we're missing that could be done, that would be fabulous. Please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks!
Kimiko

Re: Question/Request

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:59 pm

We are RFC 2812 compliant. I suggest you have a read of the RFC as nowhere does it mention MSG or ME being valid commands.

/msg for example:

Code: Select all
/msg #channel this is a message

Is a client side alias for the RFC 2812 PRIVMSG. What the client sends to the server is as follows:

PRIVMSG #channel :this is a message

/me, when done in a channel, for example:

/me says hello

Is a client side alias for a client to client protocol (CTCP) command:

PRIVMSG #channel :XACTION says helloX

Where the X represents ASCII character \x001 (SOH).

In essence, it is the client you have embedded in your game that lacks support for /msg and /me... not the network.
Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Even if I'm on an IRC client and someone in game tries to send me a PM, it doesn't work

Regarding this comment, it sounds like you're wanting to receive PMs from unregistered users. If this is the case, you will need to remove umode R when you connect. This is set, by default, to protect our users from spam bots.

To do this, type the following into your IRC client each time you connect:

/umode2 -R
Phil

Postby Kimiko » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:39 am

Thanks for the info, Phil.

We'll be looking over everything and see what we can do. Glad to know you are indeed RFC 2812 compliant. The guy who created the plug-in was misinformed.
Kimiko

Return to Comments and Suggestions